Mid-19th century, a small coal mine developed in the area of today’s city center of Penzberg. Prior to that, the land had been owned by three farmers, who used it primarily for agricultural purpose.
1865-The coal mine and miner’s settlement experienced a rapid grow, when the railway line Munich-Tutzing got extended to the coal mine, resulting in faster coal transportation to the greater Munich area.
1874- Mr. Hugo Ritter and Edler von Maffei, the land and brewery owner from Iffeldorf, acquires and enlarges the inn. The older citizens of Penzberg still have vivid memories of the inn.
Meanwhile more and more people come to Penzberg, in former times known as Sankt Johannisrain district, where the coal-miner’s colony grew rapidly south from the inn.
1875- Mr. Johann-Baptist Wutz, the innkeeper and butcher and his wife Maria, became the first leaseholder of the inn “Zum Berggeist”.
The inn hosted the first coal-mine workers celebrations of the Saint Barbara day.
Mr. Alois Kapsberger, whose documents can be found in the city archives, wrote about this period: “railway men, who arrive with the freight train, transporting coal, stay overnight at the Gasthaus Berggeist. The innkeeper serves delicious foods, so the business is booming, especially on pay days and holidays. Often, guests dance and sing to the accordion music and pay their bills in gold and silver”.
Besides the inn, Mr. Wutz owned a haulage company.
Perfectly situated at the end of the railway line, the Berggeist offered accommodation and horse carriages for the wealthy travelers, who needed to continue their journey.
Kapsberger wrote: “many travelers, even royalties from the capital city, who are heading south to the mountains, make their stop at the Berggeist. High gratuities are given…
1898- The railway company extended the railway tracks all the way to Kochel, causing the loss of Munich guests at the Berggeist.
1906- Johann Baptis Wutz died but his wife continued to ran the inn.
Mr. Xavier Strauss and his wife Theresia became the new leaseholders of the Berggeist in winter 1910/11. They had managed it successfully until 1936, when they acquired another inn “Zur Schönen Aussicht” in Penzberg-Reindel. The family Strauss/Schmid has been running the inn and butcher store ever since.
1911-Municipality Sankt Johannisrain got renamed in Penzberg, with the approval of Prince Regent Luitpold.
There is a record at the Land Registry Office in Weilheim showing that until 1927 several members of the Maffeis family are registered owners of the Berggeist.
Afterwards, the inn acquires the corporation Paulaner & Salvator brewery.
After the Second World War the innkeeper was Mr. Wexlberger, a well-known butcher. At “Wexe” one could always get great sausages.
1966 Penzberg’s coal-mine closed down and the local economy faced profound restructuring.
Numerous leaseholders tried their luck with the inn “Zum Berggeist”, while the building gradually decayed.
Finally, another investor from Iffeldorf, Mr. August Liebhardt acquired the property.
1990 the old inn gets completely torn down and in its place raised the Stadthotel with restaurant-the new Berggeist.
The hotel had been leased for many years, until Mr. Liebhardt’s oldest daughter, Stephanie Liebhardt, now Anderl, has taken it over in 2009. She and her husband Andre Anderl have been successfully managing it ever since.
170 years old coal-mine (Bergbau) tradition connects Penzberg with the name Berggeist. Although the era of coal-mining ended in 1966, it still influences lives of many people in town.
The transformation from the small inn into a Stadthotel-Berggeist has been more than successful. The hotel offers all amenities that nowadays guests expect of a modern city hotel. 45 rooms are tastefully and comfortably furnished and equipped with TV, mini bar and W-Lan.
The sophisticated hotel ambience invites guests to savor an unforgettable experience.